Pontyberem Primary School is located in the heart of the Gwendraeth Valley and between the towns of Carmarthen and Llanelli. The present school was opened in Pontyberem in September 1984 when the Infants School in Llannon Road and the Junior School on the village square were closed. Previously, the building was used as a Secondary Modern School. From the outset the school has established itself, and grown to be an integral part of the community.
We are a Category A school where the majority of the curriculum is taught through the medium of Welsh. Here, there are approximately 250 pupils receiving full-time education. We offer large playgrounds, a football and rugby field, tennis/netball courts and well resouced classrooms in order to enhance learning for every individual at Pontyberem Primary School.
Aims of Our School:
- The school exists to help children to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to become useful, caring members of an ever-changing society, within a happy, stable and safe environment which encourages progression through the various stages of childhood.
- We aim to give your child a full education seeing to all his/her needs.
- To provide school activities that are purposeful and worthwhile, which children enjoy and that provide them with a sense of achievement.
- To ensure that children know how to behave with care, courtesy, good manners and are respectful of others' property and to their fellow pupils.
- To develop cooperative children who are happy, cheerful, enthusiastic, keen on school and eager to succeed.